Monday, May 12, 2014

the next challenge is....


Tomorrow is my big trip to Halls Crossing...on one hand it sounds like fun, on the other hand it sounds like I'll be doing a lot of waiting to travel with out getting paid for it (I have to get a ride to a dock, then a boat ride across, then find someone to assign me housing, then find the EDR and figure out what's is what and where it is)...John, the guy I interviewed with, comes to talk to me today, he backpedaled on the better housing I was supposed to get over there (again he does it to me) but then he brings up my directing recreational activities over there in addition to cooking in the EDR...I don't know if that means I would be moving and staying over there? I keep saying yes to everything and am waiting to see the end result/assignments.
 My schedule is weird today, and the supervisor /girlfriend took no responsibility for the lunch today, (we didn't have a soup) and seemed disinterested in tonight's meal. She has to set-up because I'm not scheduled in till 5pm, when we start serving...usually I'm scheduled back in at 4p. Like I said, weird. I took the initiative and cooked off the swiss steaks before I left, I would have felt bad leaving her to figure it out. I'm scheduled for 6.5 hours she is for 10...again, weird.

Later that day...

 Did get some answers when I went back this afternoon. The supervisor/girlfriend got the word that she was being moved to the front desk..that explains her sudden lack of interest in the EDR. When I went back for the second half of my split shift my attempt at preparing supper was ridiculed, and nothing was ready to open at 5p....we were scrambling! The guy who took my job started giving me a hard time about how fatty the meat was, not the right method of preparation for the stated menu, was this my recipe, a whole lotta blame placing.... I respond, "just because you made me a lead cook doesn't mean I have that skill set"....then I went and got a drink of water. Oh, and the original nice housing offered was back, when I get to Halls Crossing I get a trailer instead of a dorm room.

notes..."Did you by chance prepare this"? And doesn't pitch in to help, just criticizes and leaves us scrambling.   Doesn't use my name, just starts talking into the air, I don't respond. Solutions...confirm that staff has descriptions, list of ingredients desired (aka recipe) and how many portions and how big they are...reminder: assigning blame is counterproductive, serves no good purpose, causes employee to feel bad, experience resentment...seek solutions is the proper management technique, maintain or enhance the other person's self esteem.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't you go to the south rim? Seem like that place is shady.

    ReplyDelete