Friday, May 9, 2014

Petroglyphs, petrified wood and Ed...and no regular internet

 we start out checking fluids

 no, Ed is not doing that....just the way he stands


 Hi! The internet has been down for almost a week, if you hadn't noticed. I'm on my Friday today, had a full week of cooking in the EDR. I work 12-8 12-6, 10-2:30,4-8, 10-8, 12-6. Yeesh. We've had some windy days so all I've done is cruise around with Ed in the morning, then lose some games of ping-pong to Jake after work. Ed is 71 yrs, Jake is 20?something, so I've got friends of all ages. I'm having fun with the people here, I'm still not sure what my job description is..well maybe I am. It seems to be to be the role of a person who is self managed and leads by example while a new, untrained guy learns how to manage. He's having a difficult time, as Robert, the 550 lb other lead cook has observed, he is making a lot of "rookie" mistakes. His food costs are way out of control. He orders too many perishables, too many name brand seasonings, and just too much of anything, like we'll never get another delivery ever. He held a meeting yesterday, making vague statements about cooking too much food. I asked who, specifically, decides how much to prepare for each meal? He decided his girlfriend would. My responsibilities during my shift are grill/short-order cook…I'm flipping burgers, patty melts, philly cheese steak sandwiches, fries, onion rings, all that menu..I must be getting good at it, its just like McDonalds, I keep get put on the fastest line, dammit!
Tomorrow is my first payday, I'll get a week and a couple of training hours…I'll find out what I'm really getting paid, how much my meal deductions are, and my housing costs. It should be a check, direct deposit won't start until the next payperiod.
People keep asking me when I'm going to Halls Crossing, its on a schedule somewhere but I haven't seen it yet.
Tomorrow I've got a hike planned with Ed. He is going to take me in search of a 1000 yr old indian campsite that he has been to a couple of times..he can't find it every time he looks, but when he does find it he brings back museum quality arrowheads. Beautiful examples of workmanship in brilliant colors. 
I'm getting regular workouts, lost some weight because of not having my own kitchen though. I lost some bicycle muscle too. I don't know yet If I want my bike shipped, still feeling this place out. I''m eating some protein powder, and when I get money in the bank and a wireless connection I'll mail-order some more.












 Crab rock...












 dry waterfall

 hummingbird feeder 20 miles from anywhere...with food in it.

 petroglyphs
 the view from the other side of the canyon shown earlier

 home...

No comments:

Post a Comment